Regulatory Information

What are the requirements that apply to stormwater from my industrial activities?

Identifying the requirements that apply to stormwater discharging from facilities performing industrial activities in the Tideflats can be confusing because it depends on multiple factors including location and type of activity and can be administered by multiple entities including the Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology), City of Tacoma (City), Port of Tacoma (Port), and the Puyallup Tribe.


The Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology) is delegated by the USEPA as the state water pollution control agency to administer the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and wastewater discharge programs for Washington State that includes permits for facilities performing industrial activities. Ecology has developed an industrial stormwater general permit as well as specific permits for various types of facilities performing industrial activities. Additional information on Ecology’s industrial stormwater permits is provided here.

City of Tacoma

The City of Tacoma (City) implements stormwater management activities within the City boundaries in accordance with the NPDES Stormwater Permit for Phase I Municipalities (MS4) that the City has received from Ecology. The City, as part of its permit activities, performs source control activities that includes industrial activities. Additional information on the City of Tacoma’s industrial stormwater requirements is provide here.

Port of Tacoma

The Port of Tacoma (Port) performs stormwater management activities on Port properties in accordance with a Phase I MS4 NPDES Permit from Ecology. Under the NPDES permit, the Port is responsible for complying with applicable requirements for the storm sewers it owns or operates, including on tenant-occupied properties. Generally, industrial activities are performed on Port properties. The Port and some Port tenants are also covered by ISGPs. Additional information on the Port’s industrial stormwater requirements is provided here.

Puyallup Indian Tribe

The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issues NPDES permits on tribal lands in Washington State. Additional information on EPA’s NPDES program is provided here.